Sunday, May 31, 2009

advice on a Wii

okay....something BAD happened. My kids went to a babysitter's house.
The babysitter in question had a Wii....
My kids fell in love.....
I have resisted getting a Wii all this time, for many reasons. (I don't want the kids veggin' in front of the TV more than they do now, it's terribly expensive, it could be more thing that Jonathan could break.....etc)

But the kids are REALLY begging for it. In fact, at the HUGE garage sale I am having in 2 weeks, Adam and his sister are staffing a LEMONADE STAND to contribute to the purchase of a Wii. And they start earning allowance in June, so they're thinking "Wii, Wii, Wii..." It's Wii-itis around here.....

So I've decided to save up my SwagBucks and get them a Wii, probably.....It's going to take me probably a year. Those sucker cost $300....and that's without games. I figure we'll get one by Christmas 2010. They will HOPEFULLY drop in price, won't they? In all this time, I've NEVER seen one at a thrift store. Doubt I ever will....
I have $50 in gift cards through Amazon.com (which I have earned with SwagBucks, so at this rate, it will take me about 8-10 months....I also have $40 in Target gift cards which I wish I could trade for Amazon credits......
Any advice you guys could offer on the Wii would be greatly appreciated. I am doing all of the research now, so when I purchase it, I can make the best deal possible. And that's IF I buy it. I am still on the fence. We tend to buy things for the kids to play with here because it's just too darn expensive to go to the movies or go to Putt-Putt golf or "family" places. So we're home-bodies. Jonathan is also more comfortable here most times....
So if you have Wii advice, please share. Making a $300 purchase ON A GAME goes against my frugal nature. But at least this way, it's not actually coming out of the bank account. I am doing surveys, SwagBucks and online stuff to "pay" for it....

9 comments:

Melissa said...

We'd like to have a Wii but refuse to spend all that money on it. I tried to snag a cheap one on eBay but had no success. We bought a Jakks Pacific Ultimotion instead. It's not nearly as good as the Wii, but it's far less expensive!

BTW, thanks for the nudge on SwagBucks. I'd been on the fence for a while, but finally signed up last week.

Melissa said...

BTW, see the Ultimotion review at http://www.gamersreports.com/review/195/ . The system is much cheaper at Amazon than at Target online.

Linda said...

Don't own, would love one...the kids get way more involved with a Wii than with most games...they move, they dance, they are active. You could also get the Wii Fit for YOU for YOUR exercise (when you can't find gym time).

Yes, they ARE pricey...and it IS an investment. With issues regarding Jonathan, I think you'd have to watch him very carefully and this would definitely have to be something he can't use without supervision, otherwise he could break things and this goes back to yes, they ARE pricey!

Christy said...

Where in the world are you looking that they're $300.00? Walmart they're $249.00 and at the PX same price (but of course without the tax of WalMart). $50.00 is a couple of games and the Sports comes with the sports games.

I will say I totally recommend Mario Kart, it's a lot of fun and I personally have found I play better standing! Almost all of our Wii games, are action games.

I am NOT a video game fan, limit it to once a week (Saturdays with time limits), but will say that I LOVE our Wii and have just as much fun on it as the kids have!

Sue said...

As with Christy mine was 249 with a fun set of starter games that can still get your heart rate up -- Tennis anyone....I am not a video game person but love my wii, with the wii fit and the personal coach -- a great workout at home item as well....well worth every penny.

SB said...

Thanks to everyone who gave their honest comments. I am a LOT leery of buying a very expensive toy. But I feel better knowing that people closer to my age enjoy it, too :)

So glad y'all piped in!

Berry Patch said...

We have friends with a Wii & I had about as much fun as the kids playing it. I like that it's active. We do not own one though. I'd love to but we haven't taken the plunge yet. I think it's great that you are saving up to buy it AND that the kids are contributing. I really think that will help them take care of it more. Hmmm, makes me think that I might see if my boys want to do the same thing. We have an old temperamental Play Station 2 that rarely works. I know they would love to have a Wii. And I've heard Wii Fit is an AWESOME workout! I want to get a Wii just so I can use Wii Fit!!! ;-)

Catherine said...

Go the plasticmonkey.com site and you can put up your target cards and any other gift cards you happen to get to trade for amazon cards.

We have the Wii and I think it is the only video game system that is worth owning new. With the older boys we have a number of systems that they bought, used and with deep discounts, but we did buy the Wii new. Love that Wii Fit too.

Jessica said...

Try QVC they have one on there with a monthly easy pay & package that comes with other accessories. I have been up in the air about a Wii too and am considering the QVC route! HTH!!