Wednesday, May 06, 2009

did ya know....Mother's Day....


Did you know that the celebration of motherhood dates back to the ancient Greeks? Rhea, the mother of all Greek goddesses, was honored annually at a springtime feast. In ancient Rome, a raucous spring festival was held in honor of the Roman mother goddess, Cybele, while the Celtic Pagans linked their celebration of the mother goddess Brigid to the coming of spring and the first milking of the ewes.

Did you know that more than 83 million mothers are living today in the United States, according to the U.S. Census Bureau? There are approximately 2 billion mothers living worldwide.

Did you know that nearly 96% of all Americans participate in Mother's Day celebrations in some way? For example, the holiday is the peak day for long distance carriers and one of the busiest days of the year for restaurants.

Did you know that the founder of Mother's Day, Anna Jarvis, was vehemently opposed to the commercialization of the holiday? "I wanted it to be a day of sentiment, not profit," she once said. Despite Jarvis' opposition, Mother's Day is the second biggest gift-giving holiday in America, preceded only by Christmas. The National Retail Foundation estimates that Americans will spend more than $14 billion a year on Mother's Day.

Did you know that having children later in life may help moms to live longer? The oldest "new" mom on the books is Indian schoolteacher Satyabhama Mahapatra, who gave birth in 2003 at the age of 65 to a baby boy. Mahapatra just outpaced Italian Rosanna Dalla Corte, who, in 1994, had a baby boy at the age of 63. Both children were conceived through artificial insemination with the eggs of younger relatives.

Did you know that Mr. Roger's mom knit him many of the sweaters he donned on the set of his popular children's television show?

Did you know that elephant moms gestate their calves for 22 months? Most human babies are born after 37 to 42 weeks of gestation. (Thankfully�)
----------------------------------


So all you Moms, how do you plan on celebrating your special day? Breakfast in bed? Dinner cooked for you? A handmade gift from your kids? What kind of special gift or recognition are you hoping for?

For me, what I want is to be able to relax for the day (no laundry and no cooking) and just veg out with my kids. And hug 'em, and love 'em, and just really APPRECIATE motherhood...I don't need expensive gifts or flowers. I will probably get a Lego-built gift and a hand-drawn card.....and that is how it SHOULD be.

(this is from last year..and I treasure it.)

What I REALLT REALLY want is a family picture. As a photographer, you'd think I would have GOBS of family pictures of us, but it's VERY tough to get everyone in one spot, happy, melt-down free and looking in the same direction....

Now you men, (and I don't think I have any men readers) remember taht although your wife is not your own mother, she is the MOTHER OF YOUR CHILDREN, so you should encourage and help your children honor that.

I need to send MY mom's gift out. I better get moving....

1 comment:

fifenhorn said...

well, you already know what I'm doing...wish my hubby would read that last line of your blog. I'm still ticked. Will be for a long time. Think I'm going to go buy myself a new camera lens for MD...what do you think?