Monday, June 15, 2009

what a boy will say....

We were at the Super Wal-Mart the other day....The one in Winchester, where there seem to be a collection of very diverse and interesting people (read: a lot of freaky people)...I sometimes have to warn the kids to keep their opinions to themselves, if they see someone dressed oddly or something just downright weird.

It's usually Adam, whose pointed comments both make me laugh and sometimes cringe.....

Well, we encountered a guy....with an earring. (and for the story's sake, I know it's fairly common that men have earrings but Adam's home life is quite traditional and the men in our house do NOT have earrings....)

I just knew he was going to say something....I just knew.....and he did. He and this guy struck up a conversation and Adam just couldn't leave it alone. So he says to the guy, "You know...you're wearing an earring....."

The guy says, "Yep, I like it. It makes me look cool...."

This kind of confused Adam because in his lil world, only his mom wears earrings, and says "Only girls wear earrings...."

Then the guy further tries to "defend" his fashion choice by saying, "It's the same thing as you wearing that shirt with ripped off sleeves. Are you trying to look tough?"

Well, Adam's reply takes the cake. He says..."I am tough. Are you trying to be a girl?"

It was at this point that the guy gave us, having been bested by a witty (and correct) 7 year old boy. After it was all said and done, Adam and I agreed that earrings are for women, and that he never wants one, that he is tough -for a 7 year old boy- and we talked a little about tact.

This boy keeps me on my toes.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

LOL You must have been holding your breath through the whole conversation....

SB said...

I WAS!!

:)

Berry Patch said...

Oh.my.gosh!!! How funny (and true!!). At least he's not afraid to state the facts - however he sees them. LOL

FXSmom said...

omg....i would have laughed so hard i would have been crying!!!

Linda said...

I must meet this marvel of words and wit!!!

Anonymous said...

That is GREAT! Such a quick thinker that boy of yours.... Then again, I think it's mostly just that kiddos that age are HONEST. Hilarious though... :D