Friday, July 24, 2009

SCAM ALERT

One of my favorite things to do is sign up for surveys....
And I love to get samples and freebies.
But every once in a while, I get something in the mail that I DON'T want, like this:

It's a scam! With a $4,965.00 cashier's check included....
Here's the very scary part: the cash will actually CASH at my bank. It just so happens that I grabbed the mail prior to heading to my bank. When I opened this, I KNEW it was a scam, but some people aren't so careful. When I asked my Bank of America rep about it, he looked very sad and said that MANY decent, smart people fall for it.

The scam is this: you get this check, convinced that it's money for nothing, you follow the incredibly simple instructions, which usually include cashing the check and wiring a sum to some far-off bank, -but you get to keep a few hundred bucks....By the time the dust settles, the check will have bounced, your bank will want their $1,000's back and the criminals will be long gone.

The Bank of America dude says it's very common and in these tough economic times, people are falling for it left and right.

So I urge you: USE CAUTION.
Or as I like to say: USE THE SENSE GOD GAVE A GOAT...

Now, I must close, Micaela is unwell today and I have to put on my Nurse hat. I wish I had a germ-repellant suit I could wear.....How can a human drink 8 ounces but throw up 3 gallons? Can anyone explain that to me? Ugh....

3 comments:

Linda said...

Anyone who cashes a check like that, one that was not expected or requested, should be flogged. I wish that the tellers at banks could request info regarding checks. Like asking: is this a check for services rendered? Did you request this check from another bank, or sell something?

Think about how much time and money that would save some unsuspecting souls out there!

But then again - there are those who will cash an unsolicited check...just because they can. The unemployment office locally "accidentally" sent out 1200 unemployment checks TWICE. And people, who just got their check a few days ago, went ahead and cashed the 2nd check? HONEST much???

FXSmom said...

Sadly these days people are desperate. And the government is always on top of things. When Matty was on SSI we used to get checks for something and then get a letter a week later explaining why I got the check. You just never know.

I work at a bank and we do see these a lot. At each station is a little card that asks important questions like Linda mentioned so the individual will hopefully see that it is back to cash. And luckily we are a community bank so we can take the time to recognize it and help our customers.

Another huge scam is people getting calls that they won the lottery. Then the person on the other end will say that they need like .5% wired to them to release the funds...which .5% doesn't sound like much but can actually be over $10,000 they are asking for. This is one that is usually used on the really young or elderly. Very sad :(

Jessica said...

I always tell myself, "If it seems to good to be true it probably is!"