Monday, August 17, 2009

I live (and drive) on the wild side.....

Today, I was dancing in my car....
Seriously, I was.
When Jonathan is in the car, he and I sing like wild banshees.
He usually doesn't care that I sing loud and off-key.
So today, we're singing Aretha's "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" and some guy in a small red pick up was beside us in the other lane, laughing at us, because we were as goofy as the day is long.
It was a good moment.
Dancing and singing in my car.......there's something about the acoustics of my car. I sound like Martina McBride IN my car, but I step out and it goes away...don't know why.
----------------------------------------
This is totally a fragile x thing.....
Sometimes, when I cannot understand what Jonathan is mumbling, I mess with it. It's rare, because in addition to a few known languages, I speak Jonathan fluently. But today, we were cutting up in the car, and he was laughing and saying something I couldn't understand at all.
I swear to you I couldn't. I kept trying to translate and he would say it over and over to no avail...
Finally, I said, "What did you say? You think I am a fat banana with smelly feet?"
And we laugh for 15 miles on that one....
Another good moment.....
----------------------------------------
As is the case when he's out of his element and far from his bathroom, he started to get mad.
And I calmly told him that meltdowns were not allowed at 60 mph in mom's car.
And he looked at me, and clear as day said, "I love you, Suzanne."
(yes, he calls me Suzanne....he only calls me Mom when he is buttering me up for something...)
That one phrase melted me. He is a challenging kid. Hardly a kid anymore. (He weighs more than my husband.) But in that moment, I did feel loved.
A really really good moment....
----------------------------------------
As if my life wasn't tough enough, I now have to bear the Unbearable Cuteness of Micaela's new haircut. She's 9....in a way, I wish I could just hit pause for a while.....
-------------------------------------
For her recent birthday, someone gave her a COOKBOOK. She was tickled pink! So today we made watermelon popsicles.
She then discovered that yes, cooking is fun, but cleaning up is less than fun. It's all part and parcel of the life in an apron....
--------------------------------------------
Go on...envy me my new bowls......I have been SEARCHING for pasta bowls. I even tried to buy some from Carrabba's when I was in OK recently. No dice. But today, at the Salvation Army Store, I scored these for $0.75 EACH. To give you some perspective, Williams-Sonoma sells their plain white pasta bowls for $49.00 for 6. And theirs are not nearly as deep or as purty....
--------------------------------------------
Another homeschooler blessed me with this...It saved me a small stack of money....(Curriculum ain't free, people!) But she sold it to me for $10.00!! Now I just need to buy the blocks and student book. What a tremendous blessing.....
------------------------------------------------
Beware local cheap movie-goes: The Cheap Movie Theater in Winchester, VA just raised their prices by $0.50...I now that doesn't sound like much, but it used to be only $2.50....I want it CHEAP. I wonder if the extra $0.50 means they will vaccuum at least quarterly. It's 2nd run movies that are this close to being out on DVD, but the kids LOVE the movie theater experience.
---------------------------------------
Went to Winchester tonight, which of course means, Martins. I miss Martin's grocery store. You KNOW I am a coupon dork when I miss a store. But since Giant doubles up to $0.99, I hardly go to Martins anymore.....
But I am glad I did today! Look what I scored: FREE BATTERIES.
They were on sale for $2.99 and the coupon is for $3.00 off. Easy pickin'......I was tempted to take the lot of them, but I only "bought" 2 sets. (I did take 6 coupons though.....they had a HUGE stack....) So if you're local, go get some FREE batteries. You can never have too many batteries.

3 comments:

Linda said...

CUTENESS...that haircut is CUTE...but it also makes her look just a little bit more mature...NOT what you wanted to hear, of course.

And thanks for sharing about your time with Jonathan. I think that sometimes people miss that part of your life with him...they know and can feel the sorrow and trials, but they don't hear this side...

Berry Patch said...

This was great to read! I love random posts - snippets in to life. It sounds like you had a great outing with Jonathan. Micaela's new do is super cute - as are her dimples. Great job on all your great deals!

Tammy said...

If you want cheap theater, drive to Frederick MD on Tuesdays ($1.75) and Saturdays ($1 at the 11 a.m. show).

http://www.mdlholidaycinemas.com/