Friday, September 25, 2009

American Girl dolls and READING

I have been on a misson these past few weeks.
To help Micaela improve her reading.
She has fragile x, so phonics make NO SENSE to her.
So reading has come through very hard work on her part.
Still, she struggles.
I struggle right along with her, because she's my daughter and I wish I could make it easier for her, and I am her teacher....

Nonetheless, she's made good progress.
Better than she did when they were just movin' her along in public school.....

I figured: I need to ENGAGE HER. in the book. Something that will HOOK her forever and wake up that love of reading that she has inside. (I firmly believe everyone has it, you just have to wake it up..)

So I found some American Girl books at a thrift store (for 10 cents each)...
and we're reading the first one. "Meet Felicity", which is a story of a young girl in time years right before the American Revolution, which as luck would have it, we are ALSO studying...

Plus Micaela wants an American Doll in the WORST way......


So that's what I've been doing: reading about Felicity and trying to track down a Felicity doll that is within my budget. Those dolls cost $100 on the website. I KNOW she'll play with it for years. I KNOW she will love it......but it's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS....
So if you know of a good deal on this doll, or you know someone who wants to get rid of one, please keep Micaela in mind. It would bring her such joy. If I can't find one cheaper in the next month, I'll just bite the bullet and buy one new (gulp). My daughter is worth it.....

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hannah picked up one of the American Girls books at the school library (Meet Julie). I think she enjoyed it. Unfortunately, her teacher has a "reading plan" where they have to read at least 15 minutes a day in school and at home (that's not the unfortunate part). But they have been told that they can not read more than one book at a time "because they just don't have the comprehension or attention span" to keep track of two different books.

Uh...Hannah's reading at grade 5 level right now. She is much like me, who has 3 or more books going all the time. But she is following her teacher's directive, meaning that she basically can only read the books from the classroom (which aren't challenging her enough). Ah well...if Micaela is loving these books, it's a GOOD way to get her reading. Hannah's "hitch" was the Daisy Meadows Fairy series. Once she got hooked on those, she began to love reading and "got it" as well.

SB said...

Hannah's teacher needs to catch a clue. People, especially women, are multi-taskers....I always read more than one book at once.

rennratt said...

Would the rhythm and rhyme of poetry (even 'beat' poetry) help?

My daughter and I read a book called "You read to me, I'll read to you!"
We BOTH enjoy it.

Perhaps your daughter would enjoy it as well.