Wednesday, September 02, 2009

corn fritter recipe

First of all, on no planet can we call this healthy.
It's NOT.
It's FRIED, so I don't want any backtalk from the Peanut Gallery.
In my kitchen, I only fry things maybe 3-4 times a year.
Each of those rare times, it's this recipe that brings my fry pan out.



Super Yummy Corn Fritters

Ingredients:
1 can whole kernel corn (15 ounce can, drained BUT SAVE THE JUICE!)
2 medium eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
optional: a few chopped onions or jalapenos, if you're so inclined
grease for frying (I use Crisco...)

1. Drain but save liquid from can of corn. Measure 1/4 cup of the juice and throw the rest out.
2. In Medium bowl, whisk the two eggs.
3. Then add salt, flour, baking powder and sugar.
4. Mix well, until no lumps.
5. Then add the corn (and onions and jalapenos, if you choose). Mix again. But it WILL be lumpy now...
6. Heat your grease and CAREFULLY drop into hot grease by small scoop-full. You can fry them like pancakes but I use a small cookie scoop.
7. If your grease is too hot, your first batch will cook very quickly. If you use a scoop, try and flatten them out a bit so the insides get cooked, too.

Serve with small bowls of ranch dressing, syrup, applesauce or Velveeta. Ever since I mentioned Corn Fritters, I've rec'd a few e-mails and apparently everyone eats them with different toppings/dips. I am boring: I eat mine plain. Greg prefers ranch.

This is a quick and very inexpensive side dish. All told, costs about $0.60 per batch...
I don't even want to approach the calories. Like I said, I don't eat them very often.

I would love some new recipes if you would like to share a favorite :)

2 comments:

ohhollyf said...

that is dangerous !

rennratt said...

Those sound awesome - and I don't even like corn!