Wednesday, September 30, 2009

the Dead Pot Roast is King in my house!!

How's that for a title....? Catchy, eh?
OF COURSE, there's a story there....

I once made a Pot Roast, didn't eat it that night, stored it in the fridge uncovered and in the two or so days it lay in my fridge, it kind of shrunk up and died....Which is why I called it The Dead Pot Roast. Well, I threw that Dead Roast in the crock pot with a half-can of beef broth and some onions and a few splashes of Wooster and cooked it until it was as tender as you please.

So after that, I purposely dried up a few pot roasts.

And from these many pot roasts, I create MANY leftover meals: I have a list of 17 husband-pleasing meals that I can create from leftover pot roast. So in my menu repertoire, a pot roast is valuable. This allows me to buy a cheaper cut of meat and utilize my crock-pot. I try not to pay more than $4.00 for a big roast. I buy them only when they go on sale (which is a perk of knowing The Meat Counter Person.)

I made one such meal last night: We had pot roast a few days ago, (it was a little tough and not as juicy as I would have liked)....so I made BBQ sandwiches from it. A whole meal for $2.00 (got 8 sandwiches out this small amount of meat)....

Used my FREE BBQ sauce (a few weeks ago, my local store had triple coupons so I snagged 18 bottles of free sauce).

Then I chopped up my leftover, somewhat dry, pot roast into smallish bite-size pieces...3 servings of leftovers=8 sandwiches...

Then I added them together with a handful of chopped onions, a big spoonful of brown sugar and a teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper.

You can use this for sandwiches (obvious choice), or topping for rice or baked potatoes.
It is SUPER cheap. About $0.50 per sandwich when you add in the cost of buns. (But you can halve that if you make your own rolls!)

2 comments:

Berry Patch said...

Yum! I may have to make some "Dead pot roast" very soon!

ohhollyf said...

Yummo, well done ;)