Saturday, September 12, 2009

photos from the March on DC

Let me say first of all, this was a PEACEFUL demonstration. I was personally there and saw nothing menacing, racist, hate driven or dangerous. Every American citizen that I saw was calmly walking, holding their signs, exercising their rights to speak freely.

I kept telling my kids how blessed they were to be born in the USA.
To have this right to assemble.
To have the right to express disapproval with their democratically elected leaders.
To have rights period.

We started out our journey early on Saturday morning and headed to the closest Metro station, at Vienna Station, and I was just telling Greg, "I hope it's well-attended, and we're not there with just a few people....." and then we turned the corner, and saw the mile long line JUST TO GET INTO THE METRO STATION.....Probably 2,500 people just waiting to get in that Metro. That's when I knew it was gonna be awesome...We ventured further to the West Falls Church Metro, which was much more amenable to travel. I've never ridden the Metro and had so much fun.....People were laughing, joking, high-fiving, it was positively jovial....

While we there, it was reported on both MSNBC and ABC that 1.5 million were gathered on the streets on DC. I am so glad that we were among them.

These pictures are in no particular order, all taken with my iPhone. I was totally caught up in the excitement, I totally forgot that I had packed my small throw-down camera....

Here's my crew with the US Capitol in the background....

my kids with their "Don't Tread on Me" flag....

a small portion of the calmly gathered crowds. Everyone was so nice.....

And then there were the signs.....so many signs.....


even TOTUS (The Teleprompter) was there!!

All in all, it was great. My kids were very well behaved. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

One thing's for sure: you can't ignore this.

3 comments:

Christy said...

What an amazing experience this must have been, I truly wish my family and I could have been there as well! Great photo's and some of those posters were simply genius!!! What an experience of living Government action your kids got to experience today!!

Berry Patch said...

Thanks for sharing this day with us all! I so wanted to be there & hubby & I briefly considering going. It looks like it was an excellent turnout. I'm wondering how the media will spin it?

Linda said...

Ah, but where are all these signs on the news? We didn't see them? We didn't hear MUCH of this, only what we saw on FOX (yes, THANK YOU FOX, for the TRUTH)...

You know why? You said it...because it was PEACEFUL. If there'd been a TOE out of line, you'd see it on every station...