Tuesday, January 12, 2010

so glad it's Tuesday...

1. I like Tuesday......it's probably my favorite weekday. I'm weird like that.

2. Today my car is making an AWFUL noise. So bad that my husband is coming home to look at it/fix it hopefully. I do take my car for granted and I'm so grateful that I have a HANDY MAN in my house. This, of course, has wrecked my day.......

3. But I used my time wisely. Since I am participating in the Pantry Challenge (trying to shop from my Pantry and NOT grocery shop, unless necessary), I've been pouring over my trusty Recipe Binder...picking out recipes based on what's in over-flowing pantry and freezer. I did this prayerfully, thanking God for the bounty that I have. That I lack for nothing. That I am so blessed. Everything I am, and everything that I have, is a gift from Him.

4. So today, I've fixed Black & Blue Cobbler. Actually, ADAM fixed it. During this morning's homeschooling, I clued him in on a BIG secret: if you can read, you can cook. He prepped the cobbler, measured out the ingredients and when we're oohing & aahing over tonight's dessert, he'll be so proud that he contributed.

5. I also made Rice Bread. It's SUPER easy and a great way to use up leftover rice.

I'll share the recipe with you. It really is a great bread. Slightly toasted with butter...Yummmm.

I used leftover brown rice from last night's dinner. Now don't you worry, the rice doesn't end up with brown flecks in it, the paddles in the machine break up the rice so that it blends in nicely....
Since this bread is such a great riser, it makes awesome French Toast!
I mean, LOOK AT THIS BREAD!! Bread like this will cost you a small fortune at somewhere like Panera or Great Harvest. But I figured out that it costs me about $0.47 per loaf. It's inexpensive, very tasty and a budget-friendly recipe. This assumes that you have basic bread making ingredients on hand. I use a Zo bread machine and I bake exclusively with King Arthur Flour (it costs more because it's worth more!). I usually just make the dough and bake mine in the oven but I was pressed for time. My bread machine is a workhorse. We're big fans of bread around here....

RICE BREAD RECIPE
(recipe assumes use of bread machine, not by hand)

  • 1.25 cups of warm tap water
  • 1 medium egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup of cooked leftover rice (white OR brown)
  • 1.5 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons instant dry milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 4 cups of King Arthur Bread Flour or all-purpose flour (Your bread will rise MUCH higher if you use bread flour in this recipe)
  • 1.5 teaspoons active dry yeast
Measure ingredients in bread machine pan, putting in wet ingredients first. Then stack everything else, adding flour then yeast last. Do not allow salt or sugar to come in contact with your yeast!
Use the Basic Cycle. Press start and let your machine work its magic. Remove cooked bread from pan shortly after baking so it doesn't stick. Allow it to cool before slicing....

This is a FLUFFY, high rising bread.. The kneading action will break up the rice so no one will even see it :) It's an excellent way to use up your leftovers.

3 comments:

Jen@balancing beauty and bedlam said...

It's amazing how much we can find with this Pantry Challenge, isn't it?
Thanks so much for linking to Tasty Tuesday. If you'd put a link back then everyone can find the fun.
Have a wonderful week. :)

KAF Bakers said...

Thanks for the mention, and the great recipe. I always have leftover rice around (from my Zojirushi rice cooker). I'm going to try this bread over the weekend. Happy Baking!
~ MaryJane @ King Arthur Flour

SB said...

MaryJane,
I am honored that you stopped by :) And I am green with envy at the mention of your Zo rice cooker. (I have big plans to get one after we complete our next move...)