Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day

I didn't get to post this yesterday because I was busy with my family.

Greg and I did the Rolling Thunder tribute ride again this year (photos to follow--as soon as I find the small camera I took), our final one as we leave the East Coast...and it was fun. HOT but okay. I was sitting there in the parking lot, baking in the heat, thinking about our soldiers. The ones from wars in lands that most of us don't remember, and that's what it really hit me: it's not just those who are serving right now, but those many thousands who came before us. That this day is remember THEM. Those who fought, and died, for us long before we had these many freedoms that we enjoy today.

Along the route of Rolling Thunder, I saw men bent with age, holding their salutes with trembling hands.
Men who sat in wheelchairs, with tears on their faces, watching...no doubt thinking about their "brothers". (This was of course inspired by Greg playing the soundtrack from "Band of Brothers" during the ride...that music makes me cry every time....) It really REALLY hit me when I saw a Mom, who didn't look much older than me, holding a poster that read "Son KIA" while waving her American Flag. That made me just bawl....

I'm so grateful for the sacrifice of the generations that came before me. Those who willingly did so.
Those whose names I'll never know. Many of them buried in Arlington.....

Have you ever been to Arlington? If no, you should go at least once in your lifetime....It's so amazingly beautiful how they honor our Fallen.......Fields of lush green grass, often referred to as the Gardens of Stone. The many thousands of grave markers, each 42 inches long, 13 inches wide and 4 inches thick, spaced 10 feet apart. Each honors someone's son or daughter, who fought in service to our Country. Each one, remembered. And honored.


Shortly after we arrived here to DC, I made a scrapbook of Ft Myer for an incoming wife and this was the one page that I liked enough to scan for myself...I remember taking that photo. If you zoom in, you can see them flowers, left at a grave marker. I watched an elderly woman, walk with assistance, down the steep hill, and leave her flowers, gently touching the letters on the marker. I wondered who that was for her: a father she never knew? A husband...? I'll never know....but those flowers, and watching her, is something I'll not soon forget...
Along with the photo is of course the lyrics to the song, "Arlington" by Trace Adkins.

I'm blessed to be an American. And to be so fortunate to be the daughter of a Sailor, and the wife of a Soldier. I am grateful for the service, and often sacrifice, of our military. Let us never forget them...

No comments: